Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mom's in Sydney!

I barely slept at all last night. I fell asleep around 7:30am, but was awakened every 90 minutes by calls from my sister and the hotel staff for various reasons. I finally gave up at 10am and prepared for departing Melbourne. By 10:30am, we still hadn’t heard from Mom, and Nina was starting to become worried. I wasn’t worried yet, as I expected that it would take a while for her to retrieve her luggage, get through customs and drive to the hotel in morning rush hour traffic. It turns out that Mom hadn’t written down the name of the hotel, and had to be resourceful in finding a way to call Nina for the hotel information, as she doesn’t have a functional cell phone here in Australia.

In the end, I arrived at the hotel (once again missing one piece of my luggage…sigh) and Mom opened the door to my hotel room. She’s here! In order to take advantage of the 2 hours of remaining daylight, we immediately hit the street and walked to the Sydney Opera house, passing the Conservatory of Music on the way there. The view from the Opera House is stunning. The weather in Sydney this week is rather chilly, so despite a vibrant Food Festival taking place in Hyde Park, we only had a small snack and kept walking. Sitting and eating in the cool air was not ideal!











































We stopped at the grocery store and headed back to the hotel before going to dinner. The concierge recommended a lovely spot, Fix at St. James. He suggestion suited me perfectly! The food was delicious, with adequate portions and reasonable prices, as well as a very friendly, personable waiter.









Once we finished our meal, we walked back to the hotel to get some sleep. Mom is already asleep as I write today’s blog. I’m struggling to stay awake as I write. Hopefully I can rest tonight!

No comments: