Sunday, December 17, 2006

Recital with Lauren Michelle Criddle

Tonight I had the pleasure of accompanying soon-to-be-superstar soprano, Lauren Michelle Criddle. The recital went exceptionally well, especially considering that we'd only met 2 weeks ago! The program included a range of musical styles, from aria to lieder to spirituals, Christmas songs and pop tunes.

Program:
  • Exultate Jubilate: "Tu virginum" and "Alleluja" - W. A. Mozart

  • Nacht und Träume - F. Schubert

  • Wir Wandelten - J. Brahms

  • Morgen! - R. Strauss

  • I Wonder As I Wander - J. Niles

  • City Called Heaven - H. Johnson

  • Eccomi in lieta vesta...Oh! quante volte - V. Bellini

  • Oh! mio babbino caro - G. Puccini

Ms. Criddle is an incredibly talented, charming, engaging young woman. In addition to all of that, she's so beautiful that she could vie for "America's Next Top Model" and win! I am so grateful to her cousin, Luqman Frank, for recommending me to accompany her. Luq also performed on the program, two very heartfelt and expressive renditions of Stevie Wonder's "If It's Magic" (accompanied by Shannon, a talented 13 year old harpist) and "Visions". Luq and Lauren also sang an beautiful medley of "Silent Night" and John Lennon's "Imagine". Lauren's brother Taylor also performed 3 classical guitar pieces. What a talented family!

I enjoyed myself tremendously tonight. Lauren allowed me the space to freely improvise on the contemporary pieces, and chose pieces which allowed me to indulge myself pianistically, while still providing her support as a singer. I look forward to accompanying Lauren in premier venues around the world. She's a graduate of Julliard and has already performed at Carnegie Hall. I'm quite certain her future will be stellar. She's awesome.

No comments: