Thursday, July 30, 2009

Comedy and Music

Tonight I went to La Peña in Berkeley to see The W. Kamau Bell Curve: Ending Racism in About an Hour, produced by Lisa Marie Rollins. I was expecting a stand up comic, but it was more of a one-man show, theatrical presentation, that also happened to be hilarious! W. Kamau tackled the sensitive topic of race in America, but with humor and insight that was fresh, thought provoking and, in the end, encouraging in his suggestion that we can – as a nation – move beyond the nominal precepts of race. W. Kamau touches on everything from President Barack Obama to black hair protocols to a discussion of what’s considered sexy in the USA. If you attend the show with a person of another race from your own, you get a 50% discount. Discount or not, this was a great performance and I highly recommend that you go see the show while it’s in town through August 3rd.

Once I returned home, I got to work on writing music. I declared early today that I will no longer allow days, weeks, years, to pass by without having taking any action towards completing my music project. I've decided that daily writing will at least get me on the path of being continually creative, so that's what I'm doing. Even if only for 5 minutes. I MUST WRITE or COMPOSE SOMETHING!!! Tonight, it's an instrumental piece. I spent about 15 minutes on it. But I did SOMETHING! I'm proud of myself, because, believe me, I'm hungry (for those who don't know, I typically eat dinner quite late), and tired from a full day of administrative tasks, household shopping, errand running, piano and vocal students and then the show I mentioned above. : >

It was a good day!

No comments: