Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

I will never forget being awakened by a phone call from my sister 8 years ago. "Turn on the television", she said. It was just after 6am, and I couldn't imagine what had taken place to compel her to call so early. What appeared before my eyes was incomprehensible. I saw a replay of the collapse of the first World Trade Tower building and, not realizing that the collapse didn't happen immediately, my heart dropped and I doubled over in shock. Having lived in Manhattan for nearly 8 years, working as a computer consultant, I'd been to the World Trade Towers on many occasions, and was fully aware of the number of people housed therein. 30,000? 50,000 people? Gone? Is that possible? As I continued to watch, spellbound by the horror, I learned that I was watching a replay of the events, and that many of the people in the buildings were able (miraculously) to escape. But for those 3,000+ people who lost their lives, I say a prayer of remembrance. For those around the world, casualties of war, avarice, misunderstanding, hatred, I say a prayer of remembrance. For those who this very day suffer discrimination, captivity, poverty, lack of opportunity, I say a prayer of hope and love. On this day, September 11, 2009, in memory of and on behalf of those less fortunate, let us all choose love.

"Don't delay...send yours in right away" – Stevie Wonder.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." -Anne Frank

No comments: