Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Flu

I’ve been practicing not complaining for the past couple of months. I wear a purple wristband to remind myself to not complain, and it’s been a very illuminating journey. I’ve had to start over several times, but each time, I learn something new about myself. It’s pretty cool. Now, here’s my dilemma: I have the flu. How do I write about having the flu without complaining? It’s an interesting puzzle. I’ll make an attempt: I started with a little cough on Sunday night, but I didn’t think it was anything serious, but went to bed at midnight (early for me) because I needed to wake up at 5:15am Monday morning to go work out with my trainer for the first time in 6 months. By Monday night, it was a substantial cough, but was I still buzzing from my early morning work out, and unfortunately stayed up until 2am (my normal wind down hour). I decided to sleep in Tuesday morning, and felt ok enough to go ahead and run my errands, teach my students, practice piano, etc. By Tuesday night, my cough had worsened, so I went to bed at 11pm(!!!!), hoping that I’d save myself from dealing with a serious cold. However, I woke up this morning with no voice, a severely sore throat, a mild fever and an even worse cough. I’ve spent virtually the entire day in the bed. I appreciate the fact that I have the option to not push myself, and to allow myself to recuperate today. I was successful in rescheduling my students, my interviews with potential roommates and interns, and am spending the day nursing myself. I expect to be on the way to full recovery by the morning! How’s that? Did I complain??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If your flu is the same bug I had, it might take longer--than you are intendin--for it to run its course. Increasing my Zinc content in capsule form help me get "around the corner." ((((Victoria))))