Wednesday, April 02, 2014

April brings more than showers...

I read an email message today.  It was from one of my friends, saying that for the first time, she saw a video that I'd made.  The video was of my niece, laying in a hospital bed, smiling and chatting.  I made the video because I was elated.  And in shock.  You see, this video was made only days after she nearly died - because she had been misdiagnosed for months.  She was 3 years old.

8 years ago, this month, my precious niece was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Through several close calls, over 2 years of chemotherapy, with complete hair loss, body bloat, excruciating pain and needing to live at Ronald McDonald house for 8 months, she fought for her life, along with the staff at Stanford's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital.  For her courage, determination, and fearlessness, she became a hero to us all.

Today she's a healthy, happy 11 year old, with more hair than anyone I know.  She doesn't like to talk about cancer, and for her sake, I resist talking about it to anyone she knows.  It's her story to share with her friends, if she so chooses.

In responding to the message from my friend, I watched a couple of videos again, for the first time in years.  Now, I find myself in tears of joy for her survival and the fact that both she and her big brother (God bless him for being such a wonderful support and source of love for her, despite his only being 2 years older) are thriving.  It was a very difficult, and terrifying time for my family.  But we made it!  I'm simply overwhelmed with gratitude...

Thank you...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

God bless you and your family!!!!

Unknown said...

God bless you and your family!!!!

Marc Storey said...

Beautiful to hear and read

Marc Storey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.