Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Ladies Night @ Piedmont Piano

Last Friday, I participated in Ladies Night at Piedmont Piano.

Originally 5 pianists, including Annie Sajdera, were slated to perform, but sadly, Annie wasn't able to join us on this event. I opened the night with a couple of "classical" piano works: Schumann's Davidsbündlertänze #10 Balladenmäßig, and Rachmaninoff Etude in Ebm Op. 33 #5, both passionat, fiery works that I had lots of fun performing. Next on the schedule was classical / cabaret pianist Allison Lovejoy, performing a series of classical works, including one of my favorite: Ravel's Jeux D'eau. I'd love to get that music back in my fingers. Practice...

Next was Socorro de Castro, performing a group of jazz tunes, including standards and originals, and a country tune! She was followed by Debbie Poryes in a delicate set of standards.

Allison came back to the stage to perform some original cabaret music, including an ode to her grandmother about pills... hilarious!

Finally, I closed the night with 4 of my original tunes. I've never really performed many of my own tunes, so this was a moment of a bit of nervousness for me (a true rarity), but it went well. More than a few people told me that the songs were beautiful, and even tear inducing. Wow! I can't wait to perform them with my trio : >

No comments: