Sunday, February 22, 2009

Concert featuring works by African American Composers


Tonight’s performance with Candace Johnson (Soprano) was a great success!  Despite having only had a short amount of time to prepare some rather challenging music, we gave a great performance.  The audience was thrilled, and actually stood to their feet after each piece!  Candace put together an incredible program of art songs by African-American composers and a series of gospel songs and hymns.  Feels like the start of something BIG!  I had such a great time and lots of fun working with her and definitely look forward to the next time! :>

The program:

Program featuring works by African-American composers & Hymns

Part I – Classical Works

Lyric for Truelove Undine Smith Moore (1904-1989)

On Consciousness Streams Jacqueline Hairston
On Consciousness Streams
Thou Alone Canst Inspire
Season of Remembrance


From Lyric Suite Robert Morris (b. 1941)
Gospel Blues (I’m So Glad)
Juba (Ev’ry Time I Feel the Spirit)


There is a Need Olly Wilson (b. 1937)

~ pause ~

Part II – Hymns & Gospel Songs

Blessed Assurance Fanny Crosby/Phoebe Knapp

Order My Steps Glenn Burleigh

Great is Thy Faithfulness Thomas Chosholm/William Runyan

Oh How I Love Jesus Traditional Hymn

More Than Wonderful Lanny Wolfe

His Eye is on the Sparrow C.D. Martin/Charles Gabriel

My Tribute Andraé Crouch

The past week was particularly busy with teaching and performing. Several friends came to performances this week, including Jackie and her family, Louis and his friend, Paisley and Gerald, Kevin, Marci and her granddaughter, two of my aunts and uncles, Sonia and Branice (if I missed your name, please forgive me!). We performers are thrilled to see people we know and love in the audience (hint, hint...), and appreciate when you're able to enjoy our performances : >

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Victoria,
I had a most wonderful time performing the concert with you last weekend. You are abundantly gifted in so many ways, and it is a real pleasure to know you. Here's to the start of something REALLY BIG!

Affettuosamente,
Candace